Pageviews past week

Friday, August 18, 2006

A great concert of my guru Sri Mandolin Shrinivas at KGS on 18 Aug'06



It was indeed a great evening for me as i had the oppurtunity to take my lessons from my guru during his concert at Sri Krishna Gana Sabha, as part of their Gokulastami Celebrations. He Started off with varnam in ragam Kamboji followed by Varanamuka with crisp kalpana swaras.

The krithi Mokshamugalada on ragam Saramathy was great which was followed by a krithi on Chandrajothi. The elobarate raga alapana in Madhyamavathi for teh krithi Saravanabhava was entralling and i really enjoyed. Special mention to be made on the percussion team of Sri Murugabhupathy on mrudhangam, Sri Gopalakrishnan on kanjeera and Sri EMS on the ghatam apart from the versatile Sri Sridhar on the violin.

The kaanada oothukadu kavi's alaipayudhey was followed by a great Kaapi redention with the krithi Jagadodharaka which moved every one in the auditorium. He rounded off the concert with a krithi on ragam vakulaparanam a rare composition followed by Chadrasekara, and Desh Thillana and concluded with a mangalam.

I will place a request once again to rasikas not to move in between songs and in particular before thani avarthanam and also just before playing Mangalam. Pls try and adhere to this and oblige.

It was indeed a great 3 hour class for me with my guru's performance and i was indeed lucky to have been there and also received his blessings on showing up my photo with articlew in India Today's latest issue which was on stands today (page. 78)